Friday, December 13, 2013

Remember the magic

I know it shouldn’t be this way but the older you get the easier it gets to forget the magic of life. I’m not talking about the hocus pocus Harry Potter magic. I am talking about a childlike sense of wonder. I say it with force: this should not be. As an adult our capacity to intellectualize what exists around us intensifies and the hope that helps us see miracles everywhere diminishes with that so called “life experience”. I think that is one of the reasons I love to visit Disneyland around the Christmas season, to remind myself to remember the magic in life. I witness miracles every day with my kids, yet sometimes I forget to see them. I can't give a definite recipe for cultivating the magic, it might be Disneyland for you or reading or running or coffee. Perhaps watching sunsets or talking with children.
 However,
 I can tell you a couple ways to lose magic: be resentful, bitter, ungracious. Yell on the freeway instead of smile and let it go. Focus on the negative; forget to listen; be impatient with a child...forget to laugh.
 I could go on.  
Just take a moment to remember the magic of life; the simple pleasures; the wonder of breath and love and innocence.
 Just start by remembering.  
Magic
 Beauty
 Security
 Wonder
 Trust
Creativity
Excitement

1 comment:

  1. That was an awesome post Danielle. It is so true that we must focus on the magical, the miraculous in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete