Thursday, March 27, 2014

Can you not tarry?


I pray to stay centered.

I pray so I can parent well.

I pray so I can fall asleep.


I used to be a prayer closet kind of girl (so to speak) liking nothing so much as praying in the dark on my knees before a window where I could glimpse the stars. I used to be a no interruptions type of girl as well but “leave me alone I’m praying” is not a great way to teach the kids about prayer, I realize.


 Now… I am a “get ‘er done” whenever and however type of girl because a mama needs to pray and kids need their mama. Everyday is full of the unexpected and the proverbial “stick in the spoke” of a perfectly planned out schedule; there’s no reason why I can’t be praying with the kids around my ankles like usual, just doing what we do everyday.


 
My dad always told us the reason they determined to home school was that the public system didn’t teach the three most important things

1.                  how to have a relationship with God

2.                  how to have a successful marriage

3.                  how to make money


I know that going through public school doesn’t preclude the knowledge of those three biggies but it doesn’t facilitate an easy absorption. Kids need to see first hand and a lot what it looks like to enjoy a relationship with God and spouse.

 
It was early on in Daphne’s life when I noticed her intent and innocent stare looking at Chris and I during a disagreement. Her baby intuition recognized something unsettling in the atmosphere though her communication level made her incapable of putting it to words. It has been many times since where we have been reminded of those eyes upon us by instances communicating unsettling perception into their parents world.
 
I can see with clarity the bright and joyous faces that watched one afternoon as Chris picked me up and twirled me around until I was laughing uncontrollably.  Every walk after that, the kids would always say “daddy pick up mommy, pick up mommy”. They love to see us loving each other, liking to talk and be together. Our love, giving them security, is now planting the seeds that will grow the conviction that marriage is a commitment to forever, that with wise choosing and hard work you can have “happily ever after” after all.

 
I made a quick list of everyday occurrences (usually) that give me opportunity to make that connection with God. I realize an hour isn’t really that much when you break it down throughout the day and everybody is going to have different "little opportunities".

 Pray:

·         driving to work out class: 10 minutes

·         shower: 7 ½ minutes

·         doing the dishes: 10 minutes

·         nursing baby at night 10 minutes

·         watching the kids play outside: 15 minutes

·         in bed at night: 10 minutes (sometimes longer if sleep is particularly elusive)

I can always find a window and kneel down in the dark after the kids are abed but frankly I want my kids to know it is normal to talk to God whenever, wherever and as much as possible. I want them to know He is there for us always. Always, always, always.
 
It was when Daphne was quite little that Chris and I made a commitment to her and to each other to do these things:
  • read the bible in front of the kids
  • pray in front of the kids
  • hug and kiss in front of the kids
  • laugh with each other in front of the kids
I read once that character is what you do when no one is looking. Well, good parenting is what you do when little eyes are watching, because, frankly
 
.....they are always watching.

 

1 comment: