Thursday, April 3, 2014

When you're in a slump


Talk about a blogging slump.
If I had a quarter for all the times I sat down at the computer this week to write, and ended up with a whole lot of nothing, I could probably buy coffees for all my sisters. Yes, I have writers block and block on a dozen other things as well.

Often a seeming slump in one area is less specific to that area than is reflective of ones whole life. Not naming any names but there might be a little bit of a life slump going on here.

When I feel bad about my body, guilty for not going to the gym enough, stressed about homeschooling, backed up in the laundry, sad, mad, frumpy, gloomy, impatient, unbalanced, grumpy, melancholy, dissatisfied, grumbly, mumbly and just plain glum it is pretty safe to say:
Someone has got an attitude problem and that someone might be me.

So instead of trying to fix each little area I want to recommend ten things for an attitude adjustment. Do one or all depending on the severity of the problem.
 I might have to do all ten today.

 
1. Make someone laugh. Since I am with my kids all day long, they are the crowd I perform to. They are usually easy to make laugh and I get the bonus of laughing with them.

2. Go for a jog. Just get some of those feel good endorphins pulsing through your system.

3. Put on a rocking song and dance like a maniac for a couple minutes.
 
4. Pray for ten minutes. Out loud, walking around your house, laying your hands on your kids as you go. My kids love this, especially Mason; that boy loves getting prayer.

5. Make a cup of tea and sit in the sun. Forget the incessant chores for a minute.

6. Scrap the 1500 page book you are laboring through or at any rate, put it on the shelf for a night and pick up your favorite, the one you've read 17 times and you are itching to read again because it has become so much more than just a book....it has become a safe place, an escape, a friend.

7. Smile.

 Seems easy but when you feel like a grump it takes a little disciple to do everything with a smile.

8. Put on make up and fix your hair. Sometimes just seeing a pleasant face in the mirror is enough to give your day a little boost in the right direction.

9. Go get a coffee. Take a break, load up the munchkins, go to the drive through and take your little cup of normal to a pretty spot. Put on some music and just breathe. Often I have my daughter read to us as we all mellow out in our buckles.

10. Eat chocolate. I don't recommend this one if your attitude problem involves body image but if you can limit yourself to a moderate dose (not my strong point) have at it.

So for anyone who might have an occasional attitude problem I encourage you to try my list of ten regulators. Have fun finding happy.

"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be" -Abraham Lincoln

 

 

3 comments:

  1. You better not be starting Pride and Prejudice!!!! That is supposed to be our reward for finishing this bohemoth of a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not started it...yet. However, I was very sorely tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points Danielle. All I have to do is look at those adorable pictures of your babies and smiling comes naturally.

    ReplyDelete