Sunday, April 13, 2014

You know you are a preachers kid when:

I am not going to lie, Sundays are an exhausting day for our family. When my husband, munchkins and I are walking out the door after a full Sunday service I'm feeling in need of lunch, coffee and a nap as soon as humanly possible.

Sundays are so special that I can't understand why more people don't go to church. Really, why not?

So, every second  Sunday of the month is breakthrough Sunday where the worship goes strong and long, and towards the end as I am pounding on the piano relentlessly hitting more wrong notes then is acceptable and singing myself a little hoarse; I feel like workout class is nothing compared to a good bit of worship. Today was just such a service; it left you feeling high on life.

 Life is full of so many downers, church should be one of the uppers... ours sure is.

In my experience over the years of being a pastors kid, I have been astounded at the negative response to that information. I guess I am one of the exceptions as a Pastors Kid, because I loved it growing up and I still do. I know this is due to the fact that my parents were the same in the home as in the church; real, imperfect, flawed and just about the most awesome people I have ever met. They never pretended like we had to be perfect or that they were and they always made serving God  and serving people fun. God bless them for that.

So maybe my dad did tell the whole church this morning that sometimes his girls like to drink a glass of wine and get a little "buzz on"; wow dad! But the man keeps it real, that's for certain.
Being involved in our church has been another absolutely rewarding commitment of time and energy. Since growing up in the church and later in my teenage years becoming the unenviable PK (as they say) church has just been something we do and that's it. Having kids of my own hasn't changed what we do. In fact, we have committed afresh to the no compromise approach to church attendance on Sundays. We are a family, we go to church as a family and have fun doing it.

My dad has long hair, the shield of faith tattooed on his arm and he had to cut the frays off his pants before church this morning. Ya, I always thought it was cool to be a Pastors daughter.

You know you are a preachers kid when:
  • you don't even blush when every eye in the audience is turned on you and you didn't even hear what it was your dad at the pulpit said.
  • You do worship then rush to the nursery to watch the babies then take a quick pee and back up to the front for the alter call
  • Every bad thing you've ever done has been shared from the pulpit
  • On a work day or a potluck or any function everyone is coming to you and looking for a job
  • You can talk pray and laugh with someone while still knowing exactly what your kids are doing in the pew
  • You smoke cigars outside one evening when a teenager and the whole church knows about it at the next service
  • You have John 3:16 memorized in 6 different translations
  • You are one of the first ten people to arrive every Sunday morning and one of the last ten people to leave
  • You look forward to Sunday every week with excitement and anticipation but are so glad when it is over.
  • You actually have the thought "I wonder if these jeggings are too tight"
  • People come and tell you their problems in the grocery store
  • You have often been an illustration in a sermon without any forewarning or consent form
Keep the faith
 

 

3 comments:

  1. Amen to that! Thanks for the chuckle. Wish I had thought of it first

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never a dull moment being a PK. That was awesome and 'So true'!

    ReplyDelete