Monday, February 3, 2014

Lingering in front of a skinny mirror


Have you ever looked in a mirror while trying on clothes and thought to yourself “I wonder if this is a fat mirror or if it is actually a true reflection”? Sometimes mirrors don’t always tell a consistent story if you know what I mean. Even at my gym along the huge wall of mirrors there is a little portion of about 3 feet in the far left hand corner that bows in slightly creating a more slender version of my reflection and the farther right you go the larger you get.

 At my dentist there is just such a mirror. Not a mirror that makes you wonder if it is true but a mirror that is very definitely what is known as “a skinny mirror”. Every time I visit this bathroom at this dentist I remember this mirror and take a nice long look in it as if I was trying to imprint on my imagination this version of my self.

Three kids later, I have what I refer to as the mom body. No matter what I do, my body is just plain different since having those little bundles of joy and work. So yes I linger in front of a skinny mirror whenever I have the good fortune too come in contact with one and I am not ashamed to say I even turn around to admire my backside in that gloriously slimmer perspective. Yes I am one of the masses of woman who have to fight to get back in those favorite jeans, sometimes having to give up chocolate and even…..I hate to say it, cheese, in order to do so. The gym, the trail, squats, juicing and the like, are all part of the journey back or rather the journey to what I am, a super mom. So I loiter a bit in front of an image of myself not entirely realistic, but I am grateful for the real imperfect thing because if I didn’t have the scars I wouldn’t have these:


In order to link up with Jolly Little Life as she continues encouraging us all to set goals in 2014 I  will remark on three things I am going to do every day this week.

1.                  Be grateful. A grateful person is a happy person.

2.                  Pick an outfit everyday that I feel good in (and this doesn’t include yoga pants).

3.                  Keep the kitchen table clear. This seems to be a hot spot for collecting piles of all sorts of stuff throughout the day, then before a meal it is always in need of a clean.

Here’s to a better version of myself every day

5 comments:

  1. God bless Skinny Mirrors. Those Children Are Just So Precious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am super emotional or something.... this made me cry. I love those kids. I think I will take your three goals as my own this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great goals. Only I can't relate with the outfit one...haha only my yoga pants seem to be comfortable these days. Such fun little faces. I love those skinny mirrors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those beautiful little children!! and I also love it when I come across those skinny mirrors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always work out on the left side of the gym. It makes me happy, as I tell myself, that is a true image Michele. The other mirrors are all fat mirrors. Love those grand-babies of mine. Precious little faces, and they are sooo worth every challenge they add to our lives. Great post.

    ReplyDelete