Monday, January 13, 2014

The social question

Hello Monday! Still participating in the Blogathon with Jolly Little Life this week and the first prompt is a good rant. Here she blows.
I am usually a person of even temperament and though there are certain things that irritate the deeper fibers of my nature, there are few that cause me to dive headlong into conflict or cause me to lose all sense of expression control and stare with that “how dumb are you?” look in every facial feature. Since deciding to home school my children and take the superintendence of their education into my, if not capable, then at least very loving hands, I have been annoyed on many occasions with the “aren’t you worried about their social aptitude?”. Though perhaps it shouldn’t, this inane question jogs my easy going variance tolerance odometer into high frenzy. As if the public school system is just spitting out all these high social functioning children. Statistically, kids who have less constant peer association and more adult companionship and conversation have higher IQ’s, have a quicker growing vocabulary, and a higher comprehensive level. Also, the dynamic of siblings who have learned to get along one with another on a daily basis is priceless. My three, though the littlest is only a year, love each other, learn from each other and, because of their relationship, have an agreeable desire to include others of different ages, rather than exclude those younger (which seems to be the social norm these days). Sure, some homeschoolers have their classification of social naïveté but social dysfunction is much more likely to come from broken homes than a shortage of friends. Regardless, wouldn’t a better question be more toward my qualifications anyway?

       I am just glad that homeschooling is a much more acceptable alternative these days. When my mom homeschooled her brood of six she was considered quite the trend setter and I can only imagine the weapons of defense she had to be constantly rehearsing. She is my hero.

      The world is a funny place, the more I see of it, the more I am dissatisfied with it. Excuse the verbal tirade, but really, why is “the social question” still around?


My Jolly Little Life Blogathon

1 comment: