Friday, January 10, 2014

My friends on the page

This is the fifth day I have been participating in the blogathon that jolly little life is hosting and having a great time taking part. Today's prompt is three literary heroes I know and love. If I must be confined to the naming of three than I must, but some of my other friends not listed might feel the insult. It is true, I have many heroes and heroin's penned on page and their life lived and their words spoken have helped shape me just as my friends of flesh and blood have.

My first hero is, of course, the one and only Mr. Darcy.

I have loved him since first reading Pride and Prejudice and I dare say my husband gets a little jealous when I start my yearly perusal of the well read pages. Once when I referred to my husband as Mr. Collins (in jest of course), he tickled me relentlessly saying "you will call me Mr. Darcy".

Hero #2 Perry Mason
I have read every one of Erle Stanley Gardners books, having a tender place in my heart for the strong jawed, broad shouldered defense attorney. His wit and intuitive sense for innocence make him an advocate for the underdog. I would hang upon his words when he would get sentimental toward Della Street but just could never get around to saying "I love you Della, marry me." ...And yes I just might have been inspired to pick a name for my son with the consideration of those books in mind but that is "irrelevant, immaterial and incompetent".
 
Hero #3 Sydney Carton
His is an obscure nomination. those who have read "A tale of two cities" cannot help but appreciate the noble nature of man fallen and then rising to give the greatest sacrifice for the greatest cause. He is neither physically striking or possessed of a personality to win admiration, rather you figure him more as a non character than any other for a long while. His journey though takes him to the highest point in heroism.
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known." -Sydnee Carton
Please for the love of all that is beautiful, read this book.

bonus Hero #4
As a bonus I have to throw in Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre. His passionate and fiery nature coupled with his expressive articulation is a compelling combination for me. I think his character development is a masterpiece of writing and those who cannot love Mr. Rochester have, I think, only been acquainted with him on the screen and not in the book. So read before you pronounce an opinion on this very complex and remarkable creation.
"Because," he said, "I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you — especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame. And if that boisterous Channel, and two hundred miles or so of land come broad between us, I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt; and then I've a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly."

I am finding it hard to stop here:
Aragorn of "The Lord of the Rings"
Jonathon from "Dracula"
Wentworth from "Persuasion"
This year I am looking forward to all the other acquaintances I will make and the friends I will keep forever.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment