Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A day in the life

 
This morning my husband and I woke up to two little people in homemade beanies and nightgowns peering at us in our beds. (Yes my son was wearing his sisters nightgown). We laughed out loud. As those two have grown and as Mason has developed more in speech, they have become great companions. Baby comes in bed for a little snuggle and we start the day. It is a busy and lively chaos as my husband gets ready for work, the kids trek out to feed the bunny and I start getting food ready for consumption. The morning has become my time with the kids and in the kitchen. I juice vegetables for a little kick start for everyone (my daughter drinks it right down like a champ though my son is not so compliant). My daughter practices piano and starts school at the kitchen table. I am available to instruct  as I get dinner planned. I am a big crock pot lover so either something is going in there or I am organizing for what will be cooked later. If I don’t get ready in the morning I end up with my fall back meals in the evening: omelets or pancakes usually, which to me is yummy but my husband likes meat so anything without is to him, only half a meal.
 
 
I try to make it on the treadmill around 9 or 10 when everyone has their little activities and baby plays in the pack n play near me. The kids have an outside play time and then its time for lunch already. I get those kids fixed up, put the  baby in the highchair and break out the violin. I thought when I decided to learn another instrument, practicing would be a difficult thing to squeeze in but I found that the kids love to listen (this also rescues my husband in the evenings from having to listen to my beginner screeching).


Baby then has a nap and the afternoons are usually for errands, piano teaching and outside responsibilities. Today we are going to bring Great Grandma and Great Grandpa some banana bread, home baked in the Hogan kitchen.

 
So this is the mellow version. Truth be told, sometimes I’m craving chocolate at 8:30. Other times I have to give myself a time out when I’m teaching my daughter math.  There have been times where I have cried in the bathroom or sat on the floor surrounded by toys and clothes and who knows what with a dazed expression on my face. I have to face it, being a stay at home mom is hard. The emotional, and mental demand is constant and doesn’t just end at five. I get to the end of the day feeling like I have not had a minute to myself. But if you really want a challenge, you can’t beat this one. I have never been so on my game as when I am juggling it all and still having the self control to smile and be in the moment with the little person saying “look what I drew mom”.
 
 
Family dinner and then bed time which is promptly (ish) at 6:30 in the winter months and then Husband and I do all the things that couldn’t get done when we had little people clamoring for attention. I clean, he works, we watch a show or read and get organized for the day to come. We take a quick break for Tangoes in which I rock him and try try try to get in bed before eleven (not great at that). I am blessed to have a man who sees the value in what I do and I am thankful for him; the hard work required of him that enables me to be a super hero at home, is no small thing . We are a team working toward a common goal: the preservation of family.

  It seems dull perhaps, to the outside observer, but I have come to realize that this is really living.

 





  

My Jolly Little Life Blogathon My Jolly Little Life

3 comments:

  1. Once again, you have brought tears to my eyes. I am very proud of you and your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mom. You are my number one fan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...it is inspiring and wonderful. making a happy, stable and loving environment for those babies is never easy, especially with what society expects of a woman nowadays....you have chosen well...it is truly the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete