Friday, May 16, 2014

7 ways to get rid of drama


If there is one thing I have realized in my adult state of being is that I can go a long time without the need for drama.
 
Growing up as a Dunn there was always a shortage of drama so that I am so accustomed to the lack of it that I really don’t know what to do with people who have it in copious amounts.
 
This perhaps is another reason why I can’t seem to get my head around the concept of Face Book and other social networking platforms that seem to be a stage for the dramatic as well as all kinds of other uninteresting detail sharing. 
Pardon, I understand the concept, I just don’t understand the need.
But I digress, we each have our own things, our own inconsistency’s. I never thought I would like writing and reading blogs but I do. Perhaps I can’t do face book because secretly I fear I would be an addict.

Nah... that's not the reason but I confess to having a rather addictive personality. So long as I’m addicted to salad and literature I figure I can let that personality aspect mellow. On the other hand my chocolate addiction might need some curbing and my need for coffee has become just that, a need and not just a want. I have determined to give up coffee on several occasions just to put my habits under subjection but I keep putting it off. The headaches don’t help with the conviction.
 
...so back to drama.
 
I don’t like it. In the family we have a confront or let it go type of policy that I really like. Much of what isn’t necessary to confront gets let go of and trust me this makes for some serious personal growth.
The relationship between my siblings is a perfect example of strong friendship despite age differences, height disparity, personality diversity and a multitude of other variation that could potentially lead to dramatic flair ups, specially as five of the six siblings are women and we all know how women can get.
 
We laugh a lot, sometimes at each other, often at ourselves, maybe use some expletives in jest and call each other poopy pants on regular occasion.
 
But we try to be nice and nice people don't create drama for their friends... even though I do remember saying to my sister one time long ago: "I really don't like you right now"
to which she promptly responded "well I never liked you". It was so unlike us and so funny that we started laughing and managed to forget whatever it was we were fighting about.
Strange, it's true but not too much drama amongst us.
 
Seven ways to ditch drama:

  • Listen. First rule of thumb. Dramatic people talk too much and listen too little. Don't perpetuate the drama that threatens to suck the life out of your friends. Listen.
  • If you feel upset at someone, talk to that person (rationally and kindly please), not everyone else.
  • Don’t engage in other people’s drama: leave, run away, bow out, plug your ears, grab them and waltz around the room, make funny faces, pretend like you're dead.

  • Don’t take offense
  • Do forgive and forget quickly
  • Take responsibility for whatever is your fault, your problem, your issue, your glitch; knowing that you can’t fix the other persons personality drawbacks, why spend time complaining about them.
And finally…

  • Let it go, let it go.



 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is an awesome post! So wise and so true. Drama is no fun, and it just perpetuates itself and grows. I guess I won't be complaining to you about our little issues... (just kidding of course)

    ReplyDelete
  3. getting too old for drama, it wears on me, better to do comedy and if needs be, a musical! la lalala llallaa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I missed this post earlier in the year, but I'm glad to have read it now. It inspired me anew to not let drama into my life. It's just not worth it. There are too many wonderful and good things to keep in front of my eyes and in my mind than the negativity and false-importance that too often gets all the attention. Thanks for this post!!

    ReplyDelete