Sunday, November 17, 2013

Church day

 When Mr. sees me laying out his slacks and button up shirt on a Saturday evening he always asks “is tomorrow church day mom?” My daughter will be working hard committing to memory her weekly verse and baths are mandatory of course. My kids know there is something special about Sundays.
 
I like that we have determined to keep one thing sacred on Sunday mornings, despite the many things that would threaten to encroach. I love going to church. I love singing praises to God and sitting on the pew with my husband listening with an open heart. It’s just something we do.

 True, you don’t have to go to church to find God, but it doesn’t hurt to look for him there.

Just a note to ponder: Sunday used to be a day consecrated to the honoring of God, shown by the actions of those who closed businesses and refrained from participating in every day work. It no longer is. 

Nothing much seems sacred anymore. And the evidence of this in society is that kids are raised without a strong sense of absolutes. Without absolutes there are failed marriages, broken families and teenagers who have never even considered the idea of abstinence. Making “church day” a solemn pledge of time regardless of the small sacrifice required might have a greater influence then you think.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment